Designing Innovative Electronic Musical Instruments
Designing Innovative Electronic Musical Instruments
LinnStrument Product Page
LinnStrument / LinnStrument 128 Specifications
LinnStrument: 22.4" (570 mm) x 8.22" (209 mm) x 1" (25.4 mm)
LinnStrument 128: 15.7" (399 mm) x 8.22" (209 mm) x 1" (25.4 mm)
• Steel top panel, aluminum chassis, cherry wood side pieces
LinnStrument: 5 pounds
LinnStrument 128: 4 pounds
> USB Type B jack (for data and bus power)
> MIDI Input and MIDI Output jack
> Foot Switch jack: 1/4" TRS, for dual or single foot switch, normally-closed or normally-open
> (LinnStrument only) Power Input jack: 7.5 to 12 volts, AC, DC center-positive or center-negative, at least 300 mA
• Power requirements:
> USB: current draw of 275 mA (or 225 mA in Low Power mode) with default lights and Split mode on.
> Power input: 7.5 to 12 volts; DC center-positive, DC center-negative or AC; current draw of 275 mA (or 225 mA in Low Power mode) with default lights and Split mode on.
> USB only: current draw of 250 mA (or 200 mA in Low Power mode) with default lights and Split mode on.
What's in the box
• Soft padded and zippered travel case with accessory pouch, with both carrying handle and shoulder strap.
• 4 guitar strap buttons and 4 metric M4 screws for attachment to corners of LinnStrument or LinnStrument 128. To be used with a standard guitar strap.
• 10 foot black USB cable
• A signed welcome letter from Roger:
> If purchased from our online store: the letter is addressed to the buyer's name and includes a free license for Bitwig 8-Track. Two-year warranty is automatic.
> If purchased from a dealer: the letter is addressed to "Dear new LinnStrument owner" and includes an invitation to register your purchase in order to double your warranty from 1 to 2 years and receive the free license to Bitwig 8-Track.
1) A power supply (for LinnStrument) is not included. Why? Because LinnStrument is nearly always USB bus-powered, even from any Lightning iPad or iPhone, and when using the MIDI jacks any USB power adaptor can be used. For those rare cases where a power supply might be preferred, we sell a power supply separately. Or any power supply can be used that has a standard 5.5mm outside diameter / 2.1mm inside diameter round connector, 7.5 to 12 volts, either AC, DC center-positive or DC center-negative.
2) A printed manual is not included. The manual and all documentation are on our web site so that they are always fully up to date.
3) Computer driver software is not included it is not needed. LinnStrument sends only regular MIDI data, either class-compliant MIDI over USB or regular DIN MIDI.
4) A computer editing application is not included because it is not needed. All settings can be accessed on the front panel.
• Playing Surface:
> Size of playing area:
> LinnStrument: 476 mm (18.75") x 153 mm (6"), 200 note pads (25 columns by 8 rows)
> LinnStrument 128: 305 mm (12") x 153 mm (6"), 128 note pads (16 columns by 8 rows)
> Translucent silicone rubber is 2mm thick, 50% compressible when pressed.
> Each note pad is 17 mm square, spaced 19mm center-to-center, with 2 mm wide, .5 mm deep recessed channels between note pads.
> In the center of each "C" note (in the default 4ths tuning and no transposition) is a small Braille-size bump for tactile feedback in finding the correct notes to play.
• Pitch Range (with default 4ths tuning and no transposition):
LinnStrument: 5 octaves (60 notes, F#0 to F5)
LinnStrument 128: 4 octaves+ (51 notes, F#0 to G#4)
• Sensing Capability:
> Velocity, release velocity, continuous pressure, continuous X-axis (left-right) movement and continuous Y-axis (forward-backward) movement, independently and simultaneously for all touches.
> Sliding a touch left or right across multiple note pads results in a continuous pitch change to the originally-pressed note.
• Sensor Limitations:
> Only one touch is permitted within each note pad.
> If 3 note pads are pressed that are 3 corners of a rectangle, presses to a note pad that is the 4th corner of that rectangle will be ignored.
> No more than 3 note pads are permitted in the same vertical column. Pressing a 4th note pad in the same column will be ignored.
> Y-axis (forward-backward) movement is limited to the 17 mm vertical dimension of each note pad. Sliding your finger vertically across rows will result in a new note when the touch enters the next vertical note pad.
> Maximum simultaneous touches: about 50.
> Minimum distance between any 2 touches: 5 mm, but the 2 touches must be in 2 adjacent note pads.
• Touch Sensitivity:
> Minimum touch force is approximately 60 grams.
> Touch force to produce higher pressure value: approximately 700 grams.
> High, medium and low sensitivity settings for both Pressure and Velocity
> Typical latency from striking a note pad to reception of a USB MIDI message at the computer (or DIN MIDI message at receiving MIDI device) is 2 mS.
• MIDI messages sent:
> Note On with velocity
> Note Off with release velocity
> Pressure sent as either Channel Pressure, Poly Pressure or CC 0-127.
> X-axis (left-right) movements sent as Pitch Bend, including pitch slides across multiple note pads
> Y-axis (forward-backward) movements sent as CC 0-127, Channel Pressure or Poly Pressure.
> One Channel: All notes sent over a single MIDI channel.
> Channel Per Note: Each touch is sent over its own MIDI channel from user-defined range of channels.
> Channel Per Row: Each row's touches are sent over a separate MIDI channel
• MIDI Input accepts MIDI Clock (for arpeggiator sync), full NRPN control of all internal parameters, CC full control of all lights.
• LEDS: Each of the note pads and 8 control buttons has an independently-controlled RGB (red/green/blue) LED.
• Permitted colors: red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow, white, orange, lime and pink
• Polyphonic step sequencer
• Split Keyboard Mode with unique MIDI settings for each split
• Volume Button displays horizontal light bar on screen for easy volume adjustment
• Preset Button displays MIDI Program Change number on screen (1-128) for easy selection by sliding your finger across surface
• Two Programmable Panel Switches
• CC Faders Mode permits either split to act as 8 horizontal light bars to control CC 1-8
• Strum Mode: "strumming" the rows of the right split plays any notes held in the left split.
• Low Row Mode: the lowest row may be used as a continuous MIDI control strip, sustain bar, arpeggiator on/off or other functions.
For details of all features and settings, see the User Manual.